Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Birthday cake.....German Chocolate

My husband's birthday was at the end of July. He doesn't like to celebrate them, but I always make him a German Chocolate Cake. I've only missed 1 year, due to not having any chocolate!!
I got the recipe from here this time (as I lost my original one after this past move),  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/german-chocolate-cake--make-my-cake-recipe/index.html

4oz baker's chocolate (can also use German chocolate squares)
1/2C water
2C cake flower
1tsp baking soda
1/2tso salt
1/2lb butter, unsalted & room temp. (4 sticks)
1tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2C sugar
1/2C brown sugar
4 eggs, separated
1C buttermilk (or whole milk)
   In microwave safe bowl, add chocolate & water, cook until melted (less then 5 minutes, watch it or it'll burn). Stire until smooth, set aside. Sift together cake flour, baking soda & salt in a separate bowl; set aside.
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, cream butter, extract, & sugars until light & fluff. Add yolks, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Blend in chocolate. Add flour mixture & buttermilk until combined.
  Pour batter into 2, 9" cake pans. Bake about 30 minutes for cake, 15-20 for cupcakes.
Put layer of cake on serving plate, and spread filling on top; repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment